Ask a Specialist: Kickstart Your Kids’ Digestive Health 👩⚕️
Join us today with Madeline Lauf, the founder, and CEO of Begin Health! Begin Health is a toddler & kid’s digestive health company with a high-quality and gentle blend designed to nourish growing toddlers’ and kids’ developing gut microbiome. Growing Up Prebiotics help feed beneficial gut bacteria, for digestive comfort, regularity, and softer stools.
- Madeline founded Begin Health in 2019 after experiencing her own gut health issues.
- She was instructed to take prescription drugs for the rest of her life and knew there had to be a better way to solve her problem.
- After making some lifestyle changes her digestion changed for the better, read on to find a solution that may work for you and your baby too!
What is the Gut Microbiome?
- The microbiome is the combined genetic makeup of all of the yeast, bacteria, and fungus that happily coexist in and on our bodies.
- Babies begin developing their microbiome from the placenta in utero. Ideally, they are bathed in a fabulous cocktail of vaginal microbiota from head to toe and then minutes later are popped onto the breast where their little guts are colonized immediately with skin to skin and the antibody, prebiotic, beneficial microbe-rich colostrum.
Why Gut Health Is So Important!
- During the first 3 years of life, the foundation of the gut microbiome is being laid. If this foundation-building is disrupted by severe illness or antibiotics, the child is much more likely to develop autoimmune and metabolic disorders later in life.
- Begin Health aims to start little ones on a healthy path so their gut microbiome is strong from a young age.
- The prebiotic by Begin Health jump-starts your kids’ gut health so they are getting enough fiber!
- The research that inspired The Natural Nipple is based on the gut microbiome.
- When our Founder and CEO, Lauren Wright, was researching the gut microbiome, she realized the benefits that breastfeeding has.
- The Natural Nipple was to help parents continue breastfeeding as long as possible with seamless, breast-to-bottle transitions providing the freedom to nourish your baby with breast milk even if you have to be away from them at times.
- The strains of bacteria and yeast that live on your skin are introduced to the baby once they begin breastfeeding and help to protect them from harmful bacteria that want to take up residence.
- If you’re worried about how to help give your little one the best start to overall microbiome health, here’s what to keep in mind: opt for a vaginal birth, if at all possible, avoid taking antibiotics while pregnant or breastfeeding, and if you’re able to breastfeed at all, every little bit is beneficial and can offset the negative effects of a C-section, formula feeding, or even antibiotic treatment.
- If you have had a C-section, antibiotics, or just want to see how your feeding journey is shaping your baby’s signature microbiome- we offer an at-home gut check which can be ordered here! Our microbiome insights tell you what to do now - providing peace of mind and data to understand your baby when they can't communicate with you yet.
How Begin Health Prebiotics Work
- Step 1: Start Slowly! Adding fiber into your toddler and kids’ diet must be done slowly, to avoid any unpleasant gas, bloating, or stomach discomfort.
- Step 2: Ensure Adequate Fluid. Mix each packet with 4-6 oz of fluids or foods such as yogurt. Water and milk are ideal, juice should be limited to no more than 4 oz per day.
- Step 3: Adjust Dosing As Needed! The daily dose for toddlers and kids under 4 is 1 packet per day. As stated above, start with ½ a packet per day over several days before progressing to 1 full packet.